Having tackled the women in our lives, it’s now time to focus on the men. Our favorite gender is notoriously difficult to buy for and one can (almost) never be 100% certain of how the gift that he/she spent ages choosing will be received.
I personally have been blessed with a father and partner that are literally the gentlest and most accommodating people on earth, when it comes to receiving gifts. They never take things for granted and always appreciate the time and effort that they know I have put into getting them whatever it is that I have eventually chosen. That said I will still stress over said choice for weeks, before time comes for them to open their packages (and me to finally see the look on their faces).
With most men, you cannot go wrong with technology and assorted gadgets. I will however only include a couple such items here, since there’s a forthcoming (unisex) tech-ie gift guide which will explore that niche further. For today I will focus on some of the other areas that usually provide interesting gift ideas for our favorite guys. So here goes…
1. Bourbon Infused Coffee: Most men are foodies. Most men love coffee. And you will be hard pressed to find a man that doesn’t like whiskey. This is just the sort of gift to appeal to all of the categories mentioned above.
2. Multi- Tool Box of Wonders: Men usually enjoy DIY and fixing things around the house. They also like to be prepared for any eventuallity, at any given point in time and they are usually also interested in design (especially when it is functional). This set of stainless steel, ultra-thin, and versatile tools will be a gift most will be happy to unpack.
3. Retrographic: History’s Most Exciting Images Transformed into Living Color: If you have a man in your life who likes photography, this collection of remastered photographs from major photographers and Pulitzer Prize winners of the field is sure to be well received.
4. BottleLoft: Men stock a few bottles of beer in their fridge, at any given time. This clever gadget will allow them to do exactly that, while saving precious space on their selves.
5. Leather Hip Flask 8oz: If your father, partner or friend is active and likes hiking or camping, this might come in handy – plus it looks classy as hell.
6. Daneson Bourbon & Scotch Toothpicks: See No. 1 (a.k.a. you will be hard pressed to find a man that doesn’t like whiskey).
7. Beams Plus Cashmere Scarf: Most men are not big on fashion. They do, however, enjoy having a few top quality basic pieces in their wardrobe. You can thus never go wrong with a classic cashmere scarf.
8. Victorinox Swiss Card: See No. 2. Carrying a Swiss Army knife around may not always be the most practical sollution. This would make a great, slimline alternative.
9. Universe: Exploring the Astronomical World: I’ ve recently come to realise that a lot of men are science buffs. Amongst other pursuits they enjoy astronomy, love pinpointing and naming all the different constellations and seem to be intrigued by most things having to do with space and the universe in general. This book will be the perfect gift, if you happen to have one of them in your life.
10. Mulberry 8 Card Wallet: See No. 7. Add to that the fact that men will never go buy themselves a wallet – not unless the one they’re making do with is, finally, in tatters. This streamlined classic is definitely pricey but will be most appreciated.
11. UCO Titan Stormproof Match Kit : See No. 5. These make a great, practical gift and will be surely appreciated if the man you are buying them for is a climber, hiker or camper.
12. Corkcicle Whiskey Wedge: Here we go again. Most men love whiskey, most men love design. What more is there to be said?
13. Dents Men’s Cashmere Lined Hairsheep Leather Gloves: You can’t go wrong with a pair of high quality leather gloves for winter. Plus, you can always pair them with that classic cashmere scarf mentioned above…
14. Waterproof Pack-able Backpack: Yet another one for the active guy in your life. Hell, I’d love this for my hiking trips too.
15. Le Labo Eau De Parfum Discovery Set : A little treat for the guy who’s been stuck wearing the same perfume for ages (yup, men are creatures of habbit). Now, for those of you who don’t know, Le Labo perfume is quite expensive – so this would be a great way for him to sample the different scents before committing to something he realy likes.
16. Xbox Wireless Controller Patrol Tech Special Edition: Men and videogames. Unless you are lucky (like me) your man spends a decent number of hours/ week in front of his game console. No need to analyse this further then…
17. Origin Men’s Grooming Treats Set : This set contains just the basics: Shave Cream, Exfoliator, Moisturizer and Body Wash (a.k.a. everything the average male will need for his personal grooming) in a lovely gift bag. It’s sure to come in handy, even if the man you’re buying for is not hugely into beauty related items.
18. Byredo Tree House Candle: And finally, don’t fear the candles. Most men would never buy one, but they will probably light (and enjoy) it once it’s been gifted to them. Take the leap this year. They’ll thank you, once their humble abode starts smelling divine.